Monday, May 18, 2009

Lately...

... I have been longing for another adventure. This longing has in fact led to the realization that despite my routine situation of working full time, there are still plenty of amazing things happening here. Just the other day Hannah and I spent all day walking the streets of Charlotte on a self guided public art tour. I have done similar things in cities across Europe and never even thought about doing something so touristy in my own home town.

It was a blast! Spending a day with someone as radiant as Hannah is always a distinct pleasure; but doing so in a way that made me feel like I was once again traveling made it even better. For the first time in a while, I felt like a bit of a foreigner, and it was great.

Something about walking around with a camera made the experience truly pure. Security guards asked us if we were enjoying the city and the weather. A lady stopped on her way home from getting groceries to talk to us about how great the uptown area was. She was pretty shocked when we told her that we actually lived across the street.

Since I have been home, I have run the emotional gambit. From a surprising dose of culture shock in the Philly airport to near depression of how drab life has become in relation to one year ago. The fact of the matter is that, at least for the time being, I am home in North Carolina. I don't know if we will stay here for long, or where we will go if we decide to leave. It has become clear that nothing will ever again be the year and change I spent in Germany, and I am actually OK with it. Life has so much to offer those that would simply experience it, and that (along side with who I think may be the love of my life) is exactly what I am going to do!

More to follow, stay tuned!

No comments: