Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Munich, the Klamm, and other freakishly cool shindiggs

This posting is dusted with photos from a few of my recent excursions - enjoy!

Okay, for those who may not already know... I have the greatest gig ever. I am currently working for the recreation department here at the resort. Today, I walked to work (in the rain) and clocked in around 8am. I then proceeded to get PAID to take a tour of Munich. I have serious reservations concerning the sanity of any person that does not like, nay love, this damn town.

We walked around for about an hour while I tried to contain myself. The architecture is simply amazing. Munich is one of those cities that I have only read about or seen on the travel channel. Now, having been there, I feel like I watched a travel channel special in IMAX... it doesn't seem quite real just yet. I was not able to take my camera because I was "working" but there will certainly be return visits.



I ate at the Hofbrauhaus during my visit. Great food, flawless beer... 'nuff said, as words are wasted in trying to describe the party that took place in my mouth. Afterwards, I had coffee and dessert on the roof-top patio of a cafe. From where I was sitting I could see the booming market, the Glackenspiel in the Marienplatz, and nearly every church in the city. AHHH, words failing me again here, so you will just have to wait until I can post some pictures of this amazing place.

Tangent: This is a look at what I see as I walk/ride to work every day:I love going to work these days...

Yesterday, I had an unexpected day off and decided to go hiking to a place called the Partnachklamm. The Klamm is a gorge that has been carved through a section of the Bavarian Alps. After I emerged from the gorge, I decided that the day was too pretty to be over with and hiked up a mountain and had a beer at the restaurant I found on the top.









The Gorge was impressive





















And the hike was tiring... but certainly worthwile!


4 comments:

MB said...

Yeah - I had an unexpected day off on Monday, and didn't have near as much fun as you did! Aren't you supposed to be working at some menial, low-paying job when you're just out of college? Foul, I cry - FOUL!!!

MB said...

Dave,
You really should check out your cousin-in-law's blog (Uncle Tim's niece, Sandy). She's in Senegal with the Peace Corp (she's in the Eastern Hemisphere - like you!) and has some good stuff about living in a different culture, and missing the US (or not). In the meantime - UPDATE THIS THING!

MB said...

Oh - here's the link:
http://sandyhalasz.blogspot.com/

MB said...

Waiting.....waiting....waiting.....